Beans are the most wonderful of all ingredients because they can be tasty whatever ingredients you cook with. Beans are sweet in the soup, beans are tasty in the salads and baked beans cooked are really delicious to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but can you freeze baked beans for later use? It is a little weird but it doesn’t mean you can’t. Here are step-by-step instructions from preparing to cooking and freezing baked beans.
Getting Everything Ready To Cook
Because you are preparing for the later uses, so it is better to prepare a large amount of ingredients. For saving time I suggest you prepare for 8 serving portion of baked beans.
- Bean – 3 cans (28 ounces)
- Onion – 1 large
- Green pepper – 1 large
- Barbecue sauce – ¾ cup
- Brown sugar – ½ cup
- Cider vinegar – ¼ cup
- Dry mustard – 2 teaspoons (Dijon can be a replacement)
Before You Cook
Because dried beans will be difficult to be cooked through if you cook them directly after take them out of the bags or cans, to get save the time of cooking and make the beans are cooked better, you may need to soak them in the water overnight or soaked in the hot water for 2 – 3 hours if you do not have time to wait.
- To get the best quality of beans, they must be sorted and prepared well before cooking. Just put your dried beans in a large container, remove all the bad beans you see in the colander.
- After having sorted all the best quality of beans, you need to wash them thoroughly with water.
- Now, place the beans in a large colander, add water and let them soaked overnight or at least several hours, this step will help the beans are cooked faster and tender.
How To Cook
- You want your bacon be crisper? Place your bacon slices on a skillet on over-high-medium heat. You do not need to cook it for too crisp because the purpose is about to render the fat, remove the bacon slices and put the grease aside.
- Now cut the onion in halves and start to dice them up.
- Dice the green pepper, too.
- Now it’s time to mix the sauce, add barbecue sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and Dijon, and then mix all the ingredients well together.
- With the same skillet you’ve used to render the bacon slices and the remaining grease, heat it up and add onions and green pepper, stir and cook for several minutes.
- And now, add your beans into the skillet, and add your barbecue sauce and brown sugar, stir to mix them well, and then bring to simmer. When they are cooked through.
- Pour simmered beans into a casserole pan.
- Top it with the bacon slices.
- Place the pan in the oven at 325 degrees and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove and let it cooled for several hours.
Freezing Baked Bean
Although baked beans are often served right away you remove them from the oven, freezing your baked beans are still ok if you want to keep them for the later use, but let sure that you have the vacuum sealer in the kitchen. You also need the jars or containers that used for vacuum sealing. Place your baked beans into the containers and vacuum sealing them to suck all the air out of the containers, and then place them in the freezer. Plus, it is better to eat your frozen baked beans within 1 – 2 weeks.