The simple but very tasty home-cooked chicken pho in the traditional recipe of the North of Vietnam with the fascinating quality as well as flavor has not been popular for many people. In fact, the nutritious dish can purify our body and makes us healthier especially in the hot summer. So, how can you make a fragrant, yummy and greasy broth-base? Let runcooking.com instruct the traditional recipe of the tasty chicken pho soup to enrich your cooking experience of this Vietnamese food!
If you find Vietnamese traditional dishes made from chicken. Here’s one for you some suggestions
How to make traditional chicken noodle soup of Mrs. Ha Anh
Noodle soup (Pho) features the flavorful chicken and spring onion, the sweet broth as well as a little chicken fat floating on the top. Chicken is soft, not tough and flat noodle is chewy.
- 1 chicken or 4 legs of chicken.
- Turmeric powder
- Pork bone (chicken bone is better)
- 2 onions, 1 carrot, 1 stalk ginger
- Spring onion, coriander, lemon, lemon leaves, chilli, peppers.
- Flat rice noodle
Grill slightly onion and ginger. Cut carrot crosswise into 3 lengths. Add a teaspoon salt to the pork bone pot and simmer the broth base. She simmers by electric pressure cook.
I steam chicken instead of the common boiling way. Rub the turmeric all over the surface of the chicken or chicken thighs. Steam onto pot. It takes 20 minutes if you use 2 legs of turkey. This is the secret to stay the water inside chicken and it is not dried.
After simmering pork bone, decant water base through a clean towel to filter to the other pot to discard the residue and other fat. Chicken-simmering water base mixes with simmering bone broth, add the seasoning powder. Right now, we have a very tasty broth base. If you do not use it all, place to freezer for the next time using.
I use dried noodles. Place to the large bowl then pour boiling water (100 %) on the top, soak in 3-5 minutes, remember don’t leave it too long to avoid being flabby. Then transfer pho into drainer and rinse in the cool water. Do not make inside well cooked. Finally, leave noodles drain water and transfer to the dish.
Assemble noodles to the serving bowl. Boil broth and scoop to pho, place a drainer on the broth, then place pho to soak slightly.
Transfer to the above bowl, add chicken meat. (cut by scissors, not by knife). Sprinkle spring onion, coriander. Finally rinse the heating broth and enjoy. Chicken dipped with white salt is stirred with lemon drops, chili and peppers.
Pho increases the fragrant flavor of chicken and spring onion, sweet broth floating the chicken fat. Chicken is tender, not dry combined with chewy flat noodles
Traditional and authentic Hanoi chicken noodle soup recipe from Thu Thuy
- Half or one chicken: based on the servings
- 1 ginger
- 1 cinnamon
- 2-3 dried shallots
- Spring onion, coriander
- 3-5 teaspoons of coriander seeds
- Sawtooth herbs
- Onions – optional
- Soup powder, seasoning powder
Step 1: Boil chicken and prepare broth
I take advantage of the boiling water-base to cook chicken noodles. However, I also recommend some steps of boiling chicken.
Clean chicken, rub white salt on the body and rinse chicken in water to remove the strong smell, place to the pot, add cool water, add a little salt and smashed gingers, shallots. Cook until boiling, then slower the heat, simmer to avoid chicken’s skin being torn in 10-15 minutes. Remember to turn all sides of chicken. Then turn off heat, leave chicken in the pot for a while, then take it out. Place chicken to the cooled boiled water with some ice to make the skin tightening and crispy. You can stew chicken-fat with smashed fresh turmeric to create the nice brown color in the chicken body.
Step 2: Tear chicken
When chicken is cool, tear meat out, place separately bone, head, leg, neck. Chicken is torn or sliced thinly.
Step 3: Cook broth base
Place bones that removed meat in step 2 into the chicken broth base (can add more water and pork bone to simmer).
Grill slightly ginger, shallots in heat, remove shell and smash. Fry cinnamon, star anise and coriander seeds to smell nice, place to the cloth with ginger, shallot and put to the broth. Simmer in 15-20 minutes to make sweet water base, then taste soup powder, seasoning powder.
Tip: In the South, Pho is sweeter and you can add a little rock sugar.
Step 4: Scald noodles
Soak the flat noodles into the boiling water and drain. I do not like normal noodles available in the stores, but the large one without being cut (that usually makes pho cuon – Vietnamese rolled noodles) and then I cut it myself and scald noodles in the normal way. If fresh noodles are not available, fried noodles can be the alternative to dip into the boiling water. The equality is not much changed.
Step 5: Decoration
Before enjoying, assemble noodles in bowl, add a little sliced onion (optional), onion spring, coriander leaves, thinly sliced sawtooth herbs and white spring onion strips.
Tip: In some places, for example in the South, pho ga usually served with fresh vegetables or bean sprouts but the North does not. You can add vegetables based on you taste.
Step 6: Scoop the broth base
Actually, each region will has different way to enjoy noodles. The North noodle does not have vegetables, served with lemon, vinegar, garlic, chilli and chili sauce. The South noodle certainly serves with bean sprouts. However, I think to make a yummy pho fragrant flavor thanks to anise, cinnamon, grilled onions and grilled ginger because the broth base is very important to create a tasty noodle soup.
Traditional pho broth recipe from Ms. Mai, Hanoi
Pho is considered the specific Hanoi food concluding chicken pho or beef pho (rare, well-done, brisket) available in Vietnamese noodle restaurants. In fact, the authentic pho requires a detailed preparation from the broth simmering to the preliminary processing of meat and seasoning vegetables. The most important factor is the broth. So, the careful and sophisticated preparation makes the refined and tasty broth base. However, I gradually know how to make noodle pho simpler and quicker with scrumptious flavor. Let’s come to the kitchen with me!
Simple chicken “pho” noodle recipe for 2 servings:
- 4 chicken thighs (500 gram) – remove skin, separate meat and bone.
- Pork ribs (250 gram) – cut into mouth-sized pieces, rub salt, clean
- Thinly chop coriander and spring onion
- Cut the white part of spring onions into lengthwise strips
- 2 star anise, 1 aromatic cinnamon (grill anise till flavorful)
- 1 piece of ginger, 2 shallots (well grill, remove shell)
- A handful Chinese wolfberry (make broth sweeter and clearer)
- 1 onion, thinly slice (soak in salt water in 2-3 minutes, drain)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (optional for your preference)
- Salt, fish sauce, seasoning powder
- After clean pork ribs, cover with cool water, quickly cook until boiling and the impurities rise on the top. Turn off heat, pour out the water in pot and wash ribs with clean water.
- Heat pan with cooking oil, add a few shallots, stir-fry with ribs, add salt to absorb the ribs. Add enough cool water. Place ginger, shallot, star anise, Chinese wolfberry and cinnamon (or add coriander seeds if you want), add 1 tbsp spices, higher the heat to boil. Meanwhile, you can add chicken thighs (separated meat and bone) to cook with broth.
- After boiling, slower heat and simmer in more 15 minutes. When chicken is done, take them out, leave cool, slice into mouth-sized pieces.
- Slightly scald noodle into boiling water, or cooked flat noodle, drain, transfer to the serving bowl. Decorate with white spring onion strips, chopped coriander and spring onion, add some onions. Scoop broth base to the top, serve when heating.
- The chicken pho noodle soup is gently sweet and tasty, clear and fragrant combined with the flavorful ginger, cinnamon, star anise and wolfberry. Besides, soft noodle, firm and aromatic chicken meat thanks to the mixture of spring onion and spices.
- Chicken pho noodle served with chili sauce, fresh chili or lemon base on eaters’ preference. In addition, it often serves with greasy Vietnamese fried breadstick.
- It lasts about 1 hour including from preparation till finishing. Vietnamese pho noodle can be used for breakfast, lunch or afternoon. Wish you all success in making the yummy pho!