We are in the prime of the romantic and beautiful autumn when people love gathering their friends/siblings is suitable for picnics barbecue parties. This time of the year wouldn’t be perfectly complete without enjoying your favorite dishes, would it be? People often choose light dishes such as salad to serve in picnics. Salad is always an easy and quick to make dish and since it’s a starch, it can be served with many other side dishes. A dish of potato salad is probably the most popular side dish for the summertime, but many people just leave it in the menu because of its creamy, simple, and not attractive looking. Therefore, it is important to prepare a good main dish to eat with your potato salad. Today, we prepare a collection of good dishes which you can choose to accompany with the potato salad.
Good dishes to go with potato salad
Preparing a potato salad dish is easy but many people got headache when thinking of what main dish should they eat with to make a perfect salad companion.
The best time to have potato salad is in picnics, barbecues, and cookouts because there are grilled pork and grilled chicken, meatloaf which always go well with any kind of light salad, especially potato salad. Also, it goes well with any dish of entrees. Since potato salad is a light dish and could not provide enough nutrients for a day, you should prepare foods which contain more nutrients such as chicken nuggets, battered chicken, pork chop, roasted chicken, or beef. When being asked, many people preferred to have ham steak with potato salad as pan simmered ham steak or grilled ham steak. If you would like a zesty and delicious combination, prepare ingredients for a lemon roasted chicken with potato salad.
Simply, you just need to prepare fast foods such as BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, sliders, sausage, or french dip, and hot wings. Even though they are simple foods, you can totally enjoy them with potato salad. Tired of consuming meat so often, you can also combine your potato salad with some fish recipes such as fish stick, pan seared fish, breaded fish fillets like cod or haddock, grilled fish, or oven fried fish. If you are free and have more time to prepare a dish, we suggest you to make some other healthy dishes such as corn casserole or quiche.
Mistakes to avoid when making potato salad
You have seen a list of good foods can go well with potato salad, but does your potato salad dish show its best? Although potato salad is easy and quick to make, many people face very common mistakes while making the salad which prevent it from being a perfect potato salad dish.
- Not all categories of potato are suitable for making a salad dish. Choose the waxy potatoes which are not starchy and can remain its shape perfectly after boiling.
- If you do not want your potatoes’ outside is overcooked but the inside in undercooked, then do not start them in boiling water, but in a pot of cold water.
- Do add salt in the water while cooking potatoes to have a better flavor.
- The potatoes should be cooked between 8-12 minutes until they get soft, tender, and creamy enough for the salad.
- If you use vinaigrette for the salad, toss the potatoes dressing while they are still warm. On the other hand, if it’s a mayo-based salad, let the potatoes cool down for 30 minutes before tossing them.
Other potato salad recipes
If you like a simple but still delicious salad, a safe traditional potato salad will be your delighted choice. For example, a dish of parsley potato salad, or crispy roast potato salad, or dill potato salad, or potato salad with cornichons will not disappoint you. However, those who like something adventurous, they love to load up their potato salad with other stuff. If you are thinking of changing style of making a potato salad, you can consider our collection of different potato salad recipes:
- Grilled potato salad with bacon vinaigrette
- Deviled egg potato salad
- Green goddess potato salad with sugar snap peas
- Bacon ranch potato salad
- Baked potato salad
- Roasted sweet potato and black bean salad
- Lemony potato salad with basil and mint
- Grilled red pepper potato salad
- Festive grilled zucchini and potato salad
There, you have it. We can’t gather all potato salad recipes for you, but those are some popular and great dishes to try when you have time. A perfect meal is a perfect companion of different dishes, but not an expensive and luxurious meal. Therefore, we believe you can make a perfect meal if you know how to combine a light dish with a main dish well. We hope you have found the most suitable and favorite dish to serve with the potato salad. Do share us your result.